Never Cry Wolf - Cynthia Eden I've been meaning to read Cynthia Eden's books for quite some time. Her romantic suspense books come very highly recommended, but I haven't heard much about her paranormal series. I've been on a bit of a shifter binge lately, so Never Cry Wolf fit right in.

I have no idea why, but the pack came off a bit like a biker gang. It's likely the absence of women shifters in this story, but there doesn't seem to be any community here. And that's what I like about shifter books: the way packs have both an animal hierarchy and a human support system. It felt weird not to find that here.

My other problem is that I've clearly been stuck right into the middle of a series. And Eden doesn't provide a lot of back story about what's happened previously. Sure, the main story stands alone, but various characters were dropped in with little explanation, and although it's clear I'm supposed to care about them, I really never connected at all.

And the lying. Oh, the lying. The heroine wouldn't know the truth if it bit her on a sensitive area. I can understand part of the deception, but there comes a point where trust is irrevocably broken. And I didn't believe Lucas would be so forgiving. But that's me.

Overall, this was a decent shifter story, but not one of my favorites. It's worth reading, but don't expect to be wowed.

My Grade: C+

FTC: Review copy courtesy of the publisher