Cry Sanctuary - Moira Rogers Once again, late to the party. Sigh.

I've heard great things about the Red Rock Pass series, but it wasn't until Amazon offered Cry Sanctuary for free in the Kindle store that I gave it a try.

Well...strategic marketing strikes again because I am hooked. My Ipod Touch is likely still steaming from the heat this book had. I could slap myself for not caving to peer pressure sooner. This book rocked.

I'm kind of apathetic about werewolf romances in general. I don't hate them, but they aren't my favorite type of paranormal romance. But I really enjoyed both the set up of this novel and the way that the werewolf part of the story focused more on the politics and social dynamics than on the paranormal aspect.

What surprised me was the way the characters in this novel jumped out at me. I'm a character reader first. And I don't mind if it takes a bit to develop characters in a book enough so that I am invested in them. But I didn't have to wait with this one. The main characters (Abby and Keith) and virtually every single secondary character connected with me immediately. I'm going to have to reread this one just to see how the authors pulled it off, but considering the somewhat shorter length of the book, they packed a lot of characterization in--without skimping on the relationships, the setting, the action, or the world building.

The only thing that bugged me was the nearly instant attraction trope between the two main leads. I know it's a common thing in werewolf romances, but I like my characters to spend some time getting to know each other first before hopping into a physical relationship. Especially if we're supposed to believe that relationship deepens into love.